The Åre Extreme Challenge (ÅEC) consists of three disciplines:
- KAYAKING. 25 km of whitewater & lake kayaking (Solo class) or 18 km of lake kayaking (Duo & Relay class). Wind and water levels can make this section unpredictable.
- TRAIL RUNNING. 15 km mountain run from Åre center (400m) to the top of Åreskutan (1420m) and down to Huså. Technical & steep, racers are exposed to the elements on the rocky summit.
- MOUNTAIN BIKING. 30 km back to Åre’s town square through beautiful forests, over challenging climbs, and on technical single-track trails on Åre’s world-famous downhill course. Don’t expect much asphalt.
Participants choose between three different classes:
- Solo. Individual completes entire course, which includes paddling in Class II rapids (25 km), running, and cycling.
- Duo. Two teammates complete the entire course together, where the paddling is done on the lake (18 km) and the running and cycling covers the same course as the Solo competitors.
- Team Relay. A kayaker, runner, and cyclist pass the baton across sections. The kayaker paddles the lake (18 km) and the runner and biker cover the same course as the Solo competitors.
Read the latest race memo:
- ÅEC Race Memo (vers. 1 – coming soon … )