The Åre Extreme Challenge (ÅEC) consists of three disciplines:
- KAYAKING. 25 km of whitewater & lake kayaking (Solo class) or 18 km of lake kayaking (Duo & Relay class). Wind and water levels can make this section unpredictable.
- TRAIL RUNNING. 15 km mountain run from Åre center (400m) to the top of Åreskutan (1420m) and down to Huså. Technical & steep, racers are exposed to the elements on the rocky summit.
- MOUNTAIN BIKING. 30 km back to Åre’s town square through beautiful forests, over challenging climbs, and on technical single-track trails on Åre’s world-famous downhill course. Don’t expect much asphalt.
Participants choose between three different classes:
- Solo. Individual completes entire course, which includes paddling in Class II rapids (25 km), running, and cycling.
- Duo. Two teammates complete the entire course together, where the paddling is done on the lake (18 km) and the running and cycling covers the same course as the Solo competitors.
- Team Relay. A kayaker, runner, and cyclist pass the baton across sections. The kayaker paddles the lake (18 km) and the runner and biker cover the same course as the Solo competitors.
The start fee includes:
- race entry
- clothes/schwag with ÅEC logo
- Film during the banquet
- Free use of all pics and films afterwards for your social media feeds
Accommodation. Read more under logistics.
Support crew. It’s great to have family and friends help out as your support crew during the race, but this is not required. For a small fee the race organisation can transport your equipment to the two transition zones and even get you to the start. Read more under logistics.
Renting equipment. You can rent a bike and kayak in Åre for race week. Read more under logistics.
Banquet. The dinner and banquet on Saturday night is included for all racers. You can even buy extra tickets for family and friends, but this options closes two weeks before race day. The banquet is free for kids 0-3 and reduced price for ages 4-12. Bankett is included for the whole family if you stay at Holiday Club. Read more under logistics