Race info RnB
29 June 2019 Åre, Sweden
#åecRunNBike #åec2019 #LetNatureChallengeYou
Version 1 2019.06.14 Latest info always at www.areextremechallenge.se/eventinfo
1. Race course
The course includes 2 stages, both of which are marked with ribbons (see Maps):
- Running from Åre Town Square to Huså over Åreskutan summit. 16 km
- Biking from Huså to Åre Town Square (Åre torget). 30 km
Start time. 10.00 at Åre Town Square
Cut-off time: All racers must be on their bike out of Huså transition by 14.00
Transition, start, and finish:
- Åretorg: Start and Finish in Åre town square
- Huså: Transition from running to biking
Food: Race organization does NOT provide water or food on the course. We recommend you treat water collected from streams or carry your own. Snacks and beer at finish.
2. Racing classes + prizes + lottery
|Race class a||Start number||Description a||Prizes|
10001 – 10200
1 person completes course by him/herself
11001 – 11200
a Minimum age 18, no maximum age. Age determined by having your birthday within the race calendar year.
Prize lottery to all participants but you must be present to win on Saturday night at Copperhill from 18.00.
Official timing is managed by Race.se. Race time is recorded based on observing each racer’s official race number, which means it’s extremely important that your race bib is visible (See point 5). Official time-keeping personnel from Race.se will be clearly identified at the timing points wearing yellow jerseys (see picture).
Check in. It is the racer's responsibility to check-in with time-keeping personnel in the start area from 9.00
4. Live Site
Family and friends can follow the race LIVE. We will post results as racers pass the checkpoints and the finish line. Follow racers at areextremechallenge.se/live. Note that official results are posted within 24 hours of finish.
5. Race numbers
Run: race bib must be visible on chest
Mountain bike: race bib must be visible on chest + race number on bike handle bars
** OBS ** race bib must be on top of any backpack and visible at all times! Writing on, de-facing, or modifying race bibs is prohibited.
6. Race Office and registration
Race Office is at Copperhill Mountain Lodge (12 min drive from Åre Village). This is where racers pick up race numbers and start bags. Racers can buy equipment transport, Clif Bar energy, extra tickets to Saturday night's buffet*; sign up ”late registration” , and visit Sponsor Village. Opening hours for Race Office on Thursday and Friday – see Program.
* NOTE! A ticket to Saturday’s buffet is included for each racer. Extra tickets for support crew, family, friends, etc can ONLY be purchased on a ”space available” basis after 20 June. Best to buy ahead of time here.
7. Safety instructions
By signing up for ÅEC Run N Bike all participants accept full responsibility for their own safety during the race. At the same time the Race Organization recognises its responsibility to guide the participants in safety matters and to construct the race and race course to minimize the impact of the risk factors.
Key risk factors during ÅEC are high altitude, rapidly changing weather conditions, fatigue, traffic and a challenging course. Each of these factors must be evaluated and considered by all participants.
** All racers must read the safety instructions here before participating **
We recommend that racers carry insurance coverage.
8. Transport of equipment/racer/clothes
You do not have to have a support crew. For a small cost, we can drive your bike and equipment to the transition in Huså.
Booking.You can book this transport service (1) when you sign up for the race via race.se/aec, (2) at any time by going to race.se/aec (select "ÅEC Extras") or (3) at Race Office, Copperhill Mountain Lodge, on Thursday or Friday before the race. Read more here.
Self-transport. You can also transport your bike/gear yourself the day before. Read more here.
Clothes left on course. Clothes accidently left on the course will be transported back to the Race Office at Copperhill. Items can be collected after 17:00 Saturday.
9. Race Meeting
Obligatory race meeting Friday 28 June 18:00–18:45, Copperhill Mountain Lodge (See Maps). The presentation will be available on our website afterwards as a PDF.
See applicable "ÅEC rules" on our website. All rules are applicable even for the Run N Bike Race, with the exception of rules related to paddling. A few important reminders:
- By submitting your application you accept that you are racing at your own risk.
- Littering on the course is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification.
- All participants are self-sufficient on the course, but can receive help in the transition area at Huså (maximum two individuals from a support crew in the transition)
- All racers must help fellow competitors in distress (in which case a time adjustment is granted).
Race director Henrik Weile +46 070 380 36 23
Logistics: Martin Rask, +46 70-576 05 76
Obligatory equipment per stage and per person is listed under the rules section of our website, follow links below.
- Running: See run equipment requirements. ** Recommended: Use this app on your phone to find your way in case bad weather obstructs the course markings.
** TIPS ** Download the app ”Fjallsakerhetsappen” on App Store or Google Play . App is in Swedish, but easy to understand. You are the blue dot on a detailed map!
- Mountain bike: See bike equipment requirements.
Rental equipment- The race organization does not rent equipment, but we provide info about suppliers on websiteif you want to rent a bike. Plan ahead!
A detailed schedule for race week can be found here.
13. Training on the course
Competitors can train on the course in the weeks before the race. Please tread lightly and show respect to landowners if you wish for this race to continue long into the future. Race organization will mark the running and biking course by Wednesday of Race Week. Please be aware of (and stop for!) horses when riding the bike section in Björnen prior to race day.
14. Parking and transport:
Parking Copperhill Race Hotel. We encourage carpooling up to the hotel. Follow instructions from parking attendants and ÅEC “P” signs. Violations will result in a parking ticket!
- See maps for parking areas around Copperhill.
Parking Huså and Draklanda transition areas.
- Follow ÅEC ”P” signs and parking attendants.
- Parking at Draklanda (Lake class start and first transition) available i designated parking lots. Parking also along the road, but you must obey posted signs. Årevägen from Draklanda to Åre Square will have athletes in lane and on pavement. Be mindful of where you park.
Bus transfer. We operate a bus free of charge between Åre <--> Copperhill Mountain Lodge. No need to bring your car, see bus schedule here
See maps here.
- Race director Henrik Weile +46 070 380 36 23. henrik (@) areextremechallenge.se
- Logistics, Martin Rask +46 70-576 05 76. martin (@) areextremechallenge.se
- Marketing Scott Cole +46 070 253 28 83. scott (@) areextremechallenge.se